Friday 28 March 2014

Dealing with Eczema: Evening Skincare Routine


Back in November I started to suffer from eczema on my right eye and all over my mouth. It was quite a shock when it happened as I have always suffered from oily skin (never having a dry patch in sight) and I was totally unprepared for it. I had to go out and switch up my skincare routine pronto. Gone were all my mattifying and oil control products. I stopped caring about my oily patches and focused on taking care of the dry, flaky, red, swollen and sore patches of dry skin on my face. 


A few months down the line and I still haven't figured out what exactly I'm allergic to and what is causing the eczema on parts of my face. I still have dry skin along my mouth and eye. I still wake up once in a while with a swollen eye or with all the skin around my eye red and very dry, but I've gotten it much more under control. I've since altered my skincare routine to make sure my skin is properly cleansed and moisturised and use certain makeup products to try to control the oily mess that it can be.




I try to make sure I remove all my makeup and properly cleanse my skin at night, but I'll admit to coming home after a night out every once in a while and falling asleep in a full face of makeup (lashes and all). It's a terrible habit but i just don't seem to care when I'm tired and drunk!

Aqueous cream:
I start by removing my makeup with an aqueous cream. It's extremely moisturising and removes every trace of makeup on face, including eye makeup. I wet my face, take a slob blob of the cream and massage it into my face. I start with my eyes and then move on to the rest of my face. I then remove it with a clean wet flannel.
No 7 Beautiful Skin Melting Gel Cleanser
I use this No 7 cleanser as my second cleanse. Once again I apply it my wet face, massage in and wipe away using the other side of the wet flannel. This product is a lovely hybrid of a gel and balm. After its applied to the skin and massaged in it turns into an oil. It's really effective at removing makeup, doesn't dry out my skin and leaves it feeling soft and clean. Although it's targeting at dry skin it works a treat on my oily t-zone and doesn't cause any breakouts.
Vichy Normaderm Unclogging Exfoliating Gel
Twice a week I exfoliate my skin using this Vichy exfoliater. It contains no soaps, parabens or alcohol and doesn't leave my face dry or red. It contains salicylic and glycolic acid to fight spots, keep my skin bright, remove dead skin cells and unclog blocked pores. What I really like about this is how gentle it is, it doesn't leave my skin sore or dry out my dry patches.
Superdrug Mud Therapy Deep Cleansing Mud Mask
Once a week (or whenever I remember to) I also like to use this mask to really give my skin a deep cleanse. I apply it to my nose, forehead and cheeks, leave for ten to fifteen minutes and wash off. This mask does a good job on my pores and leaves my skin smooth. It does tighten my skin though so I avoid putting it anywhere on my face that isn't very oily. 
Vichy Normaderm Purifying Pore Tightening Lotion
I like this toner because it tightens my pores, contains glycolic acid but doesn't contain soap or parabens. It doesn't strip my skin and dry it out like other toners do. It helps to keep the congestion on my cheeks and chin under control and pores look less visible since I started using it.

L'Oreal Paris Skin Perfection Serum
Once my face is dry from the toner I apply this serum. Its a nice inexpensive serum the softens my skin and tightens my pores. It also helps to even out my skin pigmentation and keep the redness away.
Nivea Creme
After my serum has dryed in fully I apply a small amount of this Nivea creme to my face. This is quite a rich and heavy cream and takes a long time to sink in but it really hydrates my skin and leaves it so soft in the morning. It also really helps keep my dry patches under control.
Superdrug Vitamin E Skin Oil
If my eczema is really acting up I like to pop a few drops of this onto my lips and eyes and massage in. It's non greasy, absorbs really well into my skin and doesn't clog my pores or cause breakouts.

So after a lot of trial and error these are the products that seem to be working best on my skin at the moment. Once I figure out what my allergy is or what's is causing the swelling, redness and extreme dryness and flaking I will probably be able to go back to my old routine, but for now I'm quite happy with what I'm working with.


If you have any suggestions as to how I can improve on my skincare, I'd love to hear them!
Thanks for reading
xx

3 comments:

  1. This post is really useful! My sister has really bad eczema but doesn't know the cause of it, and it's getting worse in this weather:s She's had to go to the doctors who prescribed some hydrocortisone or some of the creams like that. If yours get any worse I'd definitely recommend going to the docs - but I hope everything is okay! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poor sister, I hope she finds the cause of hers soon! Ya, I've been to the doctor and gotten hydrocortisone, its so good at getting rid of the redness but once I stop putting the cream on it all just comes back within a week. Which means it's definitely something I come in contact with often It seems to be staying quite minimal at the moment so I'm hoping that I'm just not coming into contact with whatever that's causing it as much anymore!
    Thanks so much for your concern,you're very sweet
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! I been reading your post and I have to say I experienced the same as you. What really helped me was also hydrocortisone cream(but it can't be used on and on forever).You should try Lavender water mist or if you can't find it you can use cold Lavender tea bags on the eczem area .Avoid water from the tab, use a thermal water spray to clean your face, switch your make-up removers and tonic to sensitive reactive skin, don't take very warm showers and try to not stress yourself to much.As a great moisturizer you can use Embryolisse - Lait-Crème Concentrè. Hope this might help you.Thx for dropping by on my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every single one and reply to as many as I can. Please feel free to leave a link to your blog (I normally check them out anyway because I'm nosey)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40988914-1